Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Mixed Chicks: Natural Hair Care Product Review

In the natural hair community Mixed Chicks hair products are among the elite and in high demand.  Many YouTube vloggers use their popular products during hair style tutorials. So naturally I became interested in trying the brand. Their products range from $15 to $20 for the smaller sizes and go up from there. I decided to purchase the 3/4oz travel size samples from their website for .99 cents (shampoo, moisturizing condition and leave in conditioner included). It was enough for one wash.

**Photo courtesy of mixedchicks.net

  • Mixed Chicks Shampoo-

The first thing I noticed is this product doesn’t have a great smell. It doesn’t stink but it’s just not a smell that I enjoyed. It had a nice lather but as I continued to wash my hair it had that squeaky feel. Can’t say I noticed any difference in my hair after the wash. Unfortunately I wasn’t impressed with the shampoo.

  • Mixed Chicks Deep Conditioner-

This recipe is pretty thick but also didn’t have an enjoyable smell to me. Conditioning is when I detangle and comb out my hair so slippage* is extremely important for me to be able to get through my thick mane. There was no slippage at all in this product so I had to mix in my typical Aussie conditioner in order to detangle. I gave the product time to sit while I finished my shower and did notice after rinsing that my hair felt soft. I would give this product another try after I’ve detangled and maybe sit under a dryer for a bit.

  • Mixed Chicks Leave-in Conditioner-

There was nothing special about this conditioner. I will stick with my Cantu leave in.

Overall, I think this brand is over rated and overpriced. As stated above, I’m willing to re try the deep conditioner and use my other two sample packs but probably won’t be purchasing anything new from them.

*Slippage- natural hair term that refers to a product (typically conditioner) that has a slippery consistency making it easier to comb or finger through hair. This is very important so hair isn’t ripped when trying to detangle.


No comments:

Post a Comment