Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Is That Your Real Hair?

My journey to rocking my natural curls didn't start because I wanted healthy hair or for any cultural reasons, it simply was by accident. I needed a change and didn't know what that would be. Eventually after about 5 months or so after postponing my chemical touch- up my roots were curly and a couple inches long. I realized that my hair was actually curly and if I allowed it to grow out could be flattering on my face. So I went with it. I had no idea what I was doing or that it was called transitioning but I continued to let it grow out and flat ironed it.


After about a year I started to take an interest in educating myself on everything natural hair, from products and styles to hair types. YouTube became my obsession and I learned so much from watching all kinds of tutorials. A year later feeling impatient I did the big chop cutting all my straight ends only being left with my natural curls in my bathroom (pic below).

Ever since, it’s been a fun platform and has turned into me wanting healthy hair and really feeling more like myself. I feel free and beautiful rocking my curly
locks. I've included some pictures and will start to share what I've learned so far. I finally feel like I’m getting the hang of it a year after fully being natural. If it wasn't for natural hair blogs and videos I’d be clueless. So consider my story and advice here as my contribution to the natural hair community. I hope this will help someone that finds themselves in the same seat I was in a couple years ago. 


I look forward to sharing my styling tips, product reviews and interesting/helpful information I come across. Please also feel free to do the same. As everyone usually says my tips will be things that have worked for me. Just like a recipe, you may need to do some adjusting. It’s hard work, but don’t get discouraged, after practice it gets easier I promise.  

The day I cut off my remaining relaxed hair


June 2014 right after my big chop (L)
and Feb 2015 after I flat ironed my hair (R) 

No comments:

Post a Comment