Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Pasta-less Stir Fry



This weekend I acquired my new toy, a julienne peeler. If you're not familiar with this small kitchen gadget, it's used to string veggies. I was fiddling around online looking for healthier pasta alternatives and came upon the device. It's used often times to string zucchini that resembles a spaghetti noodle. 

Immediately I picked up some fresh zucchini to try out some new recipes  What I created turned out fabulous! After stringing and setting aside my vegetables, I sauteed some onions and Italian sausage. I put everything together and seasoned with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, basil and topped with fresh parsley. 

This healthy dish is easy and because the zucchini will work with almost anything I just went through my fridge and started adding different things. The best part, is that the zucchini "noodles" only need to be sauteed in a little olive oil for 3-4 minutes as you want them to keep a little crunch. 


Peeled prior to cooking


Finished product



A couple of things to keep in mind:
- You'll want to peel the dark green outside skin and discard first.
- It's best to string the zucchini first and set aside (about 30 min at least). While it sits, it will emit water which can be squeezed out before putting into your skillet. 
- I used 4-5 zucchini to get a good portion for two (and leftovers). If you're cooking for just one or smaller portions for two people, two zucchini will be just enough. 

Do you have any j. peeler recipes to share? 



1 comment:

  1. Sounds good! Looks better. I have seen neither j. peelers nor zucchini out here so I will live and taste them through this post:)

    ReplyDelete