Wednesday, August 10, 2011

My Thoughts on 'The Help'

As many of you may have heard by now, The Help opens today in theaters. In celebration of this occasion, I wanted share my thoughts on the book by Kathryn Stockett.

In a nut shell, this novel tells the story of African American maids and the white families they serve in Jackson, Mississippi during the 60's. The story is told in the eyes of three main characters: Minny Jackson, the fire cracker of the group of maids whose mouth often gets her in trouble; Aibileen, a maid whom is older and wiser of the group; and Skeeter, the white aspiring journalist who has a heart for the maids. 

Skeeter takes on a project of writing an anonymous book on the specific events around the maids in their small town and creates quite the buzz. This story is beautifully written and full of memorable characters, outrageous scenarios, historical value and just plain fun. I found myself not wanting to put this book down as I read about the interesting and very different relationships between each of the families and their servants. In addition to a great story line, it appealed to all of my emotions. If adapted well, there is great potential in the film.

I have been waiting for the film since I saw the first trailer back in May. If you decide to see the film and have not read the book, I encourage you to take the time and read it as well. You won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment